UNAIDS is an innovative United Nations partnership that leads and inspires the world in achieving universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support.
UNAIDS' Cosponsors include UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP, UNDP, UNFPA, UNODC, ILO, UNESCO, WHO and the World Bank. Visit the UNAIDS Web site at www.unaids.org, Deadline: 9 May 2011 (15 day(s) until closing deadline)
Title: Special Youth Programme (SYP) - 9 months remunerated fellowship Grade: P level Contract type: Temporary appointment Date: 19 April 2011 Application Deadline: 9 May 2011 (15 day(s) until closing deadline) Currently accepting applications Organization unit: AI UNAIDS Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (AI)DXD Duty station: Geneva Switzerland ,Vacancy No.: UNAIDS/11/TA1
|PURPOSE OF POSITION:|
The UNAIDS Special Youth Programme seeks to recruit young people aged 20-24 from developing countries with some programme experience in HIV related issues to join UNAIDS for a 9-month remunerated fellowship. The fellowship is divided into two sections: an initial fellowship in UNAIDS Geneva, followed - upon satisfactory performance - by a continued fellowship in the UNAIDS country office (UCO) in the fellow's country of origin. The expected dates of the fellowship are from August 2011-May 2012.
The programme seeks to achieve the following objectives:
- To create opportunities at appropriate levels of the organization to engage youth in policy development and programming;
- To help build the capacity of young people and strengthen their leadership skills to contribute to the AIDS response, especially at the country level;
- To sensitize both young people and UNAIDS staff on various modalities of working together to address issues related to HIV, particularly youth concerns, gender, human rights and greater involvement of people living with HIV.
|Main tasks and Responsibilities of the Position:|
Under the shared supervision of the SYP Coordinator and the relevant technical staff member in the team to which the fellow is assigned, the Fellow shall have the following responsibilities during his/her time at UNAIDS Geneva:
- Participate in ongoing UNAIDS projects or programmes related to young people and HIV
- Carry out various analyses in relation to HIV and young people (eg. reviewing national strategic plans and Universal Access target reports in order to determine the level of funding and emphasis on activities for young people; developing a country level stakeholder mapping; developing a national youth profile report of his/her country)
- Liaise with UNAIDS cosponsors and other partners on issues related to HIV and young people and potentially contribute to projects in this area, both at global and country levels
- Carry out specific duties related to the technical unit in UNAIDS Geneva to which the fellow is assigned
- Carry out other activities/projects as assigned
- Specific activities at the country level will be agreed with the country level supervisor for the second part of the fellowship
Secondary school and preferably University degree or equivalent professional training or self-study/work experience.
General knowledge of and sensitivity to HIV. Analytical skills and ability to synthesize a wide range of information. Demonstrated research and writing skills.
- Good organizational and analytical skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to carry out analytical studies, evaluate implications and propose solutions
- Problem solving skills
- Creativity and innovative thinking
- Ability to manage several issues/projects simultaneously
- A commitment to completing tasks, follow through and results orientation
- Cultural sensitivity and sensitivity to HIV
- Respect for confidentiality
One to three years experience working on HIV-related issues and/or in the areas of development, advocacy, human rights, gender equality, sexual and reproductive health or similar. Experience working with an NGO is an advantage.
Fluency in English. Knowledge of another UN language an advantage.
- Aged 20-24 years for the duration of the fellowship (August 2011 - May 2012)
- Born, raised and residing in a developing country with no significant studies or time (more than 4 months) abroad in a developed country
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Innovative and proactive
- Adaptability and flexibility to work in a complex, dynamic environment
- Good team player
Please apply via the UNAIDS on-line recruitment system applying to the vacancy for the Special Youth Programme Fellow. Please ensure that your motivation letter responds to the following four questions: 1) What is the nature of the HIV epidemic in your country and how are young people particularly affected? 2) Briefly describe your experience in relation to HIV including any work you have carried out towards programmes or projects in your country 3) What is your expectation of this fellowship and how will it further your work with young people and HIV? 4) If you are selected for the Fellowship, will you be available to begin in August 2011?
Applications without motivation letter will not be considered. Young people living with HIV are especially encouraged to apply. Only applications received by 9 May 2011 will be accepted. Please do not enquire about your application. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by end of June 2011.
Applications from people living with HIV are particularly welcome.
For more details, please check https://erecruit.unaids.org/public/hrd-cl-vac-view.asp?o_c=1000&jobinfo_uid_c=24577&vaclng=en